This project is read-only.

Multiple "KeepAlive.exe - Delayed Write Failed" messages after resuming

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:21 AM
I leave my machine converting some video files with VidCoder, and have it set to 'sleep' when finished. When I come back to it and wake it I am greeted with numerous identical windows telling me "KeepAlive.exe - Delayed Write Failed etc., etc.". They all have to be cleared before I can continue. Does KeepAliveHD keep running in the background whilst the machine is sleeping? How can I prevent this?
Sep 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM
When computer is sleeping nothing is running in the background. Could be that the VidCoder is using all available cache on the disk so when KeepAliveHD tries to write to it, it just fails. I'm not familiar with the VidCoder but maybe it does have some option to tweak the "max cache size".
Sep 11, 2015 at 12:55 AM
There don't seem to be any cache options. The machine in question has 16GB of ram which is at least 8 times bigger than any file I process, so I don't know why they'd use disk cache, but then I'm not a programmer. Incidentally, VidCoder is a CodePlex project and is basically a really nice GUI for Handbrake.

I've had the problem again this morning and noticed in KAHD's 'Drive Info' window that the affected drive is incorrectly listed as 'Fixed' when in fact it is external (USB). Cross-checking in the Windows drive management app shows that it is not seen by Windows as a fixed drive, so maybe KAHD is mis-reading the drive type?

I think what is happening is that KAHD is trying to write to the drive as soon as Windows wakes up and the drive is not ready until after I have logged in and Windows has finished all the stuff it does after waking up.

Maybe KAHD needs a time delay before the first write after waking? I'm assuming that 'waking' would be enough to get the drive spinning for a while.
Sep 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM
I have added new feature to the KAHD so now it won't write file when you resume from sleep mode. It will wait for about 15 sec before any write is done, I think it is enough.

Is it possible that I send you this modified version of the KAHD so you can test it before I upload it to the public?
Sep 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM
Yes, please do
Dec 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM
I have the same problem.... often I leave the computer in sleep mode... after waking up I get this message "KeepAlive.exe - Delayed Write Failed etc"
At restart is there is no problem, only waking from sleeping mode
Dec 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM
by the way my 2 external drives appear as fixed, as well, and there seems no way to configure it.... if that was in any way related to the problem with the delayed write failed msg
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:32 AM
Edited Dec 15, 2016 at 2:33 AM
I too do have the same problem: there are multiple popups when I switch off the second monitor or when I put the computer to sleep.
I'd be very interested in having the modified version of your program. You mentioned it back in September 2015, a few months after your last public release. Do you think you could upload it or send it? I for my part would be prepared to test it ...
Thanks for your program!
Dec 18, 2016 at 1:26 AM
mladenmacanovic wrote:
I have added new feature to the KAHD so now it won't write file when you resume from sleep mode. It will wait for about 15 sec before any write is done, I think it is enough.

Is it possible that I send you this modified version of the KAHD so you can test it before I upload it to the public?
Was this test version ever uploaded to the public?
I also see error after coming out of sleep.